Recognising our potential to influence the environmental impact of our property assets
- DTZ Investors believes that the sustainable credentials of buildings will increasingly impact upon obsolescence and the long-term investment performance of property.
- DTZ Investors is a signatory to the United Nations Principles of Responsible Investment (UNPRI) and as a member we have detailed Responsible Property Investment (RPI) policy setting the framework for how we manage our assets.
- We aim to operate at the leading edge of RPI policy, as the real estate industry develops in sophistication in this area.
- In the UK, all of our discretionary managed investments have a 'Sustainability Improvement Plan' (SIP) setting out a scheduled programmme of building improvements, both in physical attributes and management practices.
- Sustainability audits are undertaken upon acquisition of any new investment.
- This does not mean that we only acquire the 'greenest' buildings, rather that we seek to understand and maximise the relative efficiency of a building in the context of its competitive set through cost appropriate retrofit and building management improvements.
- Our occupier focused investment philosophy carries through to our RPI approach. Occupier behaviour is a major determinant of a building's performance so working closely with occupiers is at the heart of our RPI strategy.
- We are committed to the provision of good education and guidance to our tenants and we are working to continually improve data sharing with occupiers.
- The synergy of working with tenants is reinforced through standard sustainability clauses that we seek to incorporate into all new UK lease documentation for our discretionary portfolios.
Planning, evaluation and continuous improvement
- To maintain coordination and leadership in the area of sustainability, environmental responsability and corporate social responsability, we have established a Responsible Property Investment committee of experts and representatives from our fund management, property management, sustainability and facilities management teams.
- The committee is tasked with annually auditing and reporting on the progress of the implementation of our RPI policy.
Effective measurement, analysis and management of our buildings
- For our discretionary managed portfolios we are actively rolling out programmes aiming to increase the measurement and analysis of data in respect of energy, water and waste management. This includes targeted roll out of smart meters, better sharing of information with tenants and regular analysis and identification of trends, patterns and anomalies within our portfolios
- Our approach also extends to flood risk management and data collection.
- We also collect and analyse information on occupier well being and the impact of our buildings on the local community and environment.
- In the UK we benchmark all properties in our discretionary management portfolios annually through GRESB (Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark).